Savory Butternut Squash Soup
A delicious light and creamy soup!
Write a review
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (red or white)
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks*
- 4 green apples, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 -3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup of apple cider (optional, for sweetness)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot; add onion and chili powder. Cook until onion is slightly tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the squash, apples, broth and apple cider. If you don’t have apple cider add a little extra broth. You want the liquid at or just below the level of the chopped squash. Bring to a boil, cover and cook over low heat until the squash is very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender, adding liquid (water, broth or cider) until it reaches your desired consistency. It should be thick, not watery. You can also transfer soup in batches to a food processor or blender.
- Optional: Garnish with feta cheese and basil (as pictured) or with diced apples, parsley or roasted pumpkin seeds
- Recommendation: Buy a squash pre-peeled to save time